Makes 3-4 Servings
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ tspn salt
1 ½ cups apple sauce
1 cup sugar + 2 tspns for sprinkling
½ tspn vanilla
2 extra-large eggs
10 tablespoons of unsalted butter – melted and cooled
Zest of half of a lemon
1 cup frozen black currant, cranberries or golden raisins
We’ve gone ahead and stepped up our game on this one. The lemon zest adds a gentle tang and the raisins add a little more flavor.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 18-22 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375° Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl whisk together applesauce, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, and melted butter.
- Carefully fold in the flour making sure not to over mix. There should not be any strings of flour but stop mixing as soon as they are gone.
- Add the cranberries, black currants, or golden raisins and mix just enough to incorporate them.
- Using a large ice cream scooper measure and scoop out 12 muffins into the tin. Sprinkle with 1-2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Bake in the middle rack for 18-22 minutes. The timing will depend on your oven and the type of muffin tin you are using. Check that the skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, serve with favorite tea or coffee, and have a healthy and delicious day!