Makes 6-8 Servings
For the Feta:
6 oz. good feta (room temperature)
2 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
2/3 cup good olive oil
2 tb freshly squeezed lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Tomatoes:
2 minced shallots
2 cloves garlic – minced
2 tb good red wine vinegar
2 lbs. ripe heirloom or cherry tomatoes diced
3 tb julienned basil leaves
1 baguette, sliced
What a wonderful appetizer! Whip up the feta in advance and on the day of your dinner party just slice the bread and prep the tomatoes. You can prep the tomatoes up to one hour prior to serving.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 0 minutes
- In a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Combine feta, cream cheese and pulse for a minute or so until the mixture is well mixed.
- With the processor running add a little at a time the lemon juice and olive oil. You should start seeing the mixture become more uniform
- Taste for salt, pepper and add as necessary
- In a separate bowl combine the minced shallots, garlic, red wine vinegar and toss with the diced tomatoes
- Spread the whipped feta on the baguette slices and top with the tomato mixture
- Sprinkle the basil leaves on top and serve
**** As an alternative you can omit the shallot and vinegar mixture in the tomatoes and serve just the baguette with whipped feta and plain tomatoes. Honestly, I usually make two plates one with the shallot mixture and one without.