Makes 6 Servings
6 firm apples such as Golden Delicious, cored and peeled
Zest of 1 orange
Juice of 1 lemon
1 bottle of dessert wine such as Muscat or a nice apricot wine.
½ jar of apricot jam
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, warmed up until liquid
6 teaspoons of sugar
6 oatmeal cookies (can be store bought)
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30-40 minutes
One of the easiest recipes ever. Top this with ice cream or for a little extra decadence, top with whipped merengue and give it a quick flash under the broiler for a Baked Apples Alaska. Enjoy with a nice dessert wine.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Gently slice off the tops of the apples and set aside.
- Slice off a little bit off the bottom so that the apple will stand properly, peel and core the rest of it.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the apples with the lemon juice.
- Place into an 18-inch baking dish and top the apples with the reserved tops.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the apples with the butter and sprinkle each apple with about ½ to 1 teaspoon of sugar. This depends on how sweet the apples are to begin with.
- Take a tablespoon and spoon the inside of the apples with the apricot jam.
- Fill the bottom of the dish with dessert wine.
- Bake in the upper third of the oven for 30-40 minutes basting every 10 minutes with the wine.
- You will know that the apples are ready when they slice easily with a knife.
- Let the apples cool for 15-20 minutes.
- To serve – place a cookie on each individual plate. Using a spatula carefully transfer the apple (with the jam filling) onto the cookie and spoon the wine from the baking dish on top of the apples. Add a dollop of ice cream for additional wow factor.