Makes 35 pieces
375 grams of sweetened biscuits – processed in a food processor down to almost a powder
50 Grams nuts (walnuts or pecans) processed in a food processor (optional)
2/3 can of sweetened condensed milk at ROOM TEMPERATURE
100 g unsalted butter at ROOM TEMPERATURE
3 teaspoons good sweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier or 1 tablespoon of good dark rum
Sweetened Cocoa Powder for dusting
1.25 Inch in diameter paper baking cups (liners)
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour to chill in the refrigerator
First invented out of necessity post World War II. This truffle recipe is a staple in any Russian household during the holidays.
- Combine with a handheld mixer or in a mixer with the paddle attachment the butter, condensed sweetened milk, and 3 teaspoons of cocoa powder until liquid and all the butter has been incorporated. (It will take about 2 minutes)
- Add the grinded biscuits and nuts to the butter and sweetened condensed milk mixture.
- Mix until just incorporated (you may have to finish mixing by hand).
- Put about 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into a bowl.
- Line up 30-35 baking cups.
- Take about 1 tablespoon worth of mixture and round off into a ball using the palms of your hands. I use a rounded tablespoon measure; it creates the perfect size mini truffle rounds.
- Roll the truffle in the cocoa powder, shake off excess and put into a baking cup.
- Serve as is with favorite cream or chill in the refrigerator.