Makes 20 Shorties
2/3 cup pecan halves
250 g plain flour (approximately 1 cup)
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter – room temperature
½ cup icing sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
100 dark chocolate – chopped
2 baking sheets lined with paper
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350*F and in a small tin or on a baking sheet toasted in the oven for 5-7 minutes until lightly colored. Leave to cool, then chop or break up and mix with flour.
- In an electric mixer with the whisk attachment beat the butter until smooth.
- Beat in the sugar one tablespoon at a time. Once fully incorporated, beat in the vanilla extract and beat until fluffy and almost white.
- Add the flour and nut mixture and mix until you have a firm dough.
- Divide the dough into 20 pieces, make little rounds with your hands and place on baking sheets. As you do so, push the little rounds down a bit to make them into a cookie shape.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. They will remain pale in color and will have a bit of color around the sides.
- Let them stand and cool for about 10-15 minutes
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over simmering water. Remove from heat and stir until well incorporated.
- Dip the bottoms of the shorties into the hot chocolate or you can dip them halfway and place back on baking sheet to cool off.